Battle of the Red Blazers

Wednesday, January 2, 2013



A red blazer is a great closet staple, classy and versatile (I first fell in love when I saw Princess Kate wearing one). J. Crew has two options right now, the schoolboy blazer in modern red (find it here) and a J. Crew Factory option here, the factory professor blazer in maraschino cherry.

First up: the J. Crew schoolboy. I found this for a seriously amazing deal (it’s an extra 30% off right now making it almost 70% off the original price). It’s a classic piece with lots of fun details like gold buttons, a striped lining, and a pop of contrasting color on the collar. The color is a bright orangey-red and the fabric is wool flannel. The fit is supposed to be “shrunken” and I ordered one size up for more comfort in the shoulders (my regular size felt very stiff).

 
 
 

Oh the gold buttons! I love this piece. The details are my favorite.

Next is the J. Crew Factory professor blazer. It is on sale right now, but I found it at 30% off the current price so I would wait for a better sale if you are considering this. The color is a true red (no orange tones) and the fit is more comfortable but less structured than the schoolboy (the fabric is stretchy with a little wool). It is more true to size than the schoolboy and a little longer. The brown buttons are cute, but don’t quite measure up to the gold buttons.
 
 
 
 
Both of these are a nice wardrobe staple as well as a timeless piece. However, you can’t beat the price right now of the schoolboy blazer in modern red and it wins for the amazing details. The factory professor blazer is a more comfortable fit and a true red rather than orange red. Really, you can’t lose with either one! H & M also has a great red blazer right now in stores for a slightly lower price.

6 comments:

  1. Cute! I prefer the modern red schoolboy for the gold buttons and the fact that it's %100 wool. I'd probably buy it if I didn't already own a bazillion blazers, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the modern red schoolboy, the color is great and the gold buttons are amazing...

      Delete
  2. Just bought the schoolboy. An even better deal in store - 70% off and then an extra 50% off. Couldn't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what an incredible deal!! Wish that I could have found it in store!

      Delete
    2. Erika - Do you mind me asking what size you are because we seem to be similar body structure and I am not sure which size to get when ordering online?

      Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Hi! Both of the blazers in this post are a size 8 (my usual size in J. Crew blazers/jackets). I did end up exchanging the red schoolboy (the first one in this post) for a size 10 though, the 8 looked ok but felt a bit tight through my shoulders. Hope this helps!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment! Your lovely comments really make my day :) I appreciate and enjoy every comment even though I don't always have time to reply.

(I also often reply via email, unless you are a no-reply blogger).