Med school spring break and a new blazer

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

 

This week is my medical school spring break, and it's finally starting to feel like spring! After continuing snow last week, it was almost 70 degrees yesterday (!) and we can finally see patches of green on the ground (in between the still-melting piles of muddy snow). After the hours, call, and stress of my surgery rotation, I'm reveling in going to bed early and not waking up with an alarm (although after two months of early hours on surgery I haven't been able to sleep past 7 a.m.), watching the Today show in the morning, and catching up on reading my favorite blogs.

I went to Madison last weekend for a much needed girls' weekend with two of my best friends and we managed to get in some shopping (surprise). I'm trying to be a lot more careful with my clothing purchases so I only purchased a couple things on sale and I'm really happy with my finds, one of which is this blazer. I saw this coral Gap blazer online and wasn't completely sold, but after seeing it on the clearance rack and trying it on, I loved it. The color is gorgeous and it's the perfect piece for spring. The best part was that it was marked down to $35 (originally $88).


After I got home, I realized that this blazer is the same one that Kendi is wearing in this post and I was even more excited! She is definitely one of my style icons and credit for this outfit (blazer/striped top/dark skinny jeans) goes to her.



Blazer: Gap
Striped top: Shade (old), 
Toothpick jeans: J. Crew Factory
Ballet flats: J. Crew Factory (old), similar



And a work outfit. Yes I am technically off this week, but I'm spending a day and a half with one of the dermatologists. I've been trying to explore some of the specialties that I'm interested in as it gets closer to residency application time. I'm actually enjoying derm: lots of procedures (biopsies, skin lesion removals, etc) and the patients are all ages and so appreciative of what the dermatologist can do for their skin problems like psoriasis, skin cancer and acne. 

I really liked this outfit when I wore it to the derm clinic yesterday but it looks a little boring in these pictures. I might dress it up with a necklace next time, but I'm also a firm believer in simplicity. This mauve pink skirt has proved to be one of my best work wardrobe purchases, it works as a neutral but is still a little unique. And I own this Gap sweater in black and cream, it's the perfect basic.


Black crewneck: Gap
White button-up: J. Crew Factory (old), similar version on sale
Mauve skirt: J. Crew (old), similar in 'frosted lilac'
Ballet flats: J. Crew Factory (old), this year's version

Happy Wednesday! Linkin' it up with The Pleated PoppyAlisonShannaAdrienneKiwi Style, and Rolled Up Pretty.

11 comments:

  1. Visiting from I feel pretty.
    That is a great blazer! And dermatology has great hours too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!! I love the blazer especially. I'm trying to incorporate more blazers into my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that blazer, such a pretty color. and with stripes, even better! Stopping by from the linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blazer! Cute outfit! I found your blog on the I Feel Pretty Link up:) Have a good evening!


    Carissa
    Lillies & Silk

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blazer is on its way to me! I really really hope it fits because it's just so dang cute.

    and we were probably shopping at the same time. how weird would it have been had we run in to each other?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great outfit combo - I love that Gap blazer on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't resist the blazer either and have been loving wearing it - though I'm jealous of the even better deal you got! Looking forward to seeing how else you style it up...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eek!! Med school!! How exciting. I am a trauma nurse and we have all of the residents and students and its so fun! What kind of MD do u want to be?!
    Love your outfits, you look amazing! Especially the blazer and stripe combo! Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another medical blogger... yay! Enjoy your spring break! I'm a radiologist (love it!) but I have to say, derm is a fabulous specialty too. Love that blazer... such a fun pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great markdown on your new blazer! It's great when nice stuff becomes more affordable. I'm sure you'll have lots of wear from it and have fun remixing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had my eye on that same blazer. It is perfection! Love the color and how you styled it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment! Your lovely comments really make my day :) I appreciate and enjoy every comment even though I don't always have time to reply.

(I also often reply via email, unless you are a no-reply blogger).