Five favorites...and a flying baby

Wednesday, August 21, 2013


Linking up with Hallie for Five Favorites:

1. The flying baby: Lest you think that I am exaggerating by the title, let me assure you that I am not. Right now I can absolutely not imagine any crazier delivery than the one that happened yesterday. The laboring mom was a resident patient, and since she had already undergone two successful vaginal deliveries, the residents let me do the delivery pretty much solo. Normally when I deliver the resident patients, the chief resident stands next to me in case of emergency, but like I said this one was just so 'easy' that they deemed it unnecessary. The mom's first big push let me mostly but not completely deliver the baby's head, and then came the second push. The baby shot out like a cannonball with momentum that I never dreamed any newly emerging baby could have. I somehow managed to catch the baby mid-air (and off to the side) and stood in complete shock holding the slippery new babe safely in my arms, while the watching nurses/resident/attending doc let out a huge gasp and then collective sigh of relief. The attending doc claimed that he has never seen a baby fly out so fast. I am now known as the med-student-who-caught-the-flying-baby (so thankful it's not the-med-student-who-dropped-the-flying-baby). Craziest.delivery.ever.

2. Loving your work: I realized yesterday that while I did not feel at all like getting out of bed at 5:30 a.m. (it was painful), the day just got better and better during my shift on labor and delivery. I was contemplating driving home how great it is to love your work, and how important it is to choose a profession that makes getting up in the morning worth it and each day meaningful (especially when that profession requires 80 hour work weeks, night call, and 24 hour shifts).

3. This outfit: Of course it's a cheater since I'm in scrubs every day here (outfit pics taken before I left for St. Louis). I wore this for Stephen and I's last dinner date: floral scarf from Zara, a bright blazer from J. Crew, my favorite shoes, and trusty pixie pants from J. Crew Factory (which now come in maternity from the retail store...and I do not not need them, I promise).

4. Our anniversary: Our first anniversary is August 31, but since we won't be together next weekend, we are going to celebrate this weekend when Stephen visits. I had no idea what to get him for an anniversary gift, but I'm pretty excited on what I found (not sharing yet in the off chance that he reads this post...)

5. Stephen coming to visit this weekend: Enough said.
Blazer: J. Crew
Tunic: Splendid via 6pm.com
Ponte pants: J. Crew Factory
Scarf: Zara
Shoes: same as always from Madewell

Also linking up with the Pleated PoppyAgi, and Tara/Bonnie.

11 comments:

  1. Good gracious! I suppose there's no chance my 1st baby comes out that easily, eh? Love this blazer/pant/scarf combo, and if only those pants had been available at the beginning of my pregnancy - would clearly have been totally worth the investment! They're so great. As it is, I think I'll wait out the remaining two months and angle for a regular pair as a reward afterward :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. have fun this weekend! Nice that you have a chance to see each other and celebrate.

      Delete
  2. That's too bad you won't get to be together on your 1st anniversary, but a substitute celebration can definitely be just as fun! Your scarf is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your outfit is gorge! I thought no one else knew abt 6pm!! That's awesome! I've gotten some serious steals from them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cannot believe your flying baby story!!! I imagine you'll have a lot more crazy stories to come in OB/GYN. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some interesting labor stories for you. We had a lady deliver in a toilet, one who's baby fell out of her literally and landed on the floor. We've had women sneeze/cough their kid out. The other day the ladies water broke and then all of a sudden we heard the baby cry. Delivering babies can be tricky. They are sneaky little buggers but i love it. Great outfit.

    Don't forget to link up today to my weekly Tres-Chic Fashion Thursday Link Up.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That flying baby story is soooo crazy!! And you look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I CANNOT get over the flying baby. Holy kegels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! Props to you for a good catch =) I saw that maternity pants email from J. Crew and am totally coveting...sadly, I don't think they're in my budget right now. Have a wonderful anniversary weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I am visiting your blog via Favorite Fashion Friday. What a cute blazer... looks super comfy!

    xo, tasha
    twenty-something
    blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the print on that scarf! Thanks for linking up for Favorite Fashion Friday. Hope to see you back tomorrow!
    Tara
    Penniless Socialite
    Group Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment! Your lovely comments really make my day :) I appreciate and enjoy every comment even though I don't always have time to reply.

(I also often reply via email, unless you are a no-reply blogger).