Spring shopping + some birth stories

Wednesday, May 7, 2014


I figured that since I've been getting so much use out of my maxi skirts, I should try a maxi dress. I picked this one up for 40% off at Gap thinking that it would be postpartum and breastfeeding friendly (I did order one size up to accommodate for both). I like that I can dress it down with a jean jacket and sandals or dress it up with heels and a cardi (I'm thinking rehearsal dinner dress for the weddings that I'm in this summer?)


And a couple other spring shopping purchases were this denim jacket from J. Crew Factory and these awesome Old Navy sandals that I blogged about last week (they are suprisingly comfortable). I bought the J. Crew Nolita denim jacket a couple years ago on final sale, but I ended up giving it to my mom who is a few inches shorter than me with a shorter torso. It never quite fit me right (too cropped for my frame) and I'm way happier with the cut of the J. Crew Factory version.



Maxi dress: Gap
Denim jacket: J. Crew Factory
Shoes: Old Navy 
Necklace: Madewell (old)

The sun is finally out and *most* of the snow is melted (still a few piles here and there) so I'm thinking it's a good time for baby M to make his appearance? I've been taking my evening primrose oil, drinking some rasberry leaf tea, and continuing the many, many squats I've been doing these last  couple of months but I don't think any of it is really doing much. If anything, I have less cramping that I had between 33 and 36 weeks ha. And baby is only getting bigger...and bigger. I'm thinking about trying this Hypnobaby "Come OUT baby" track, suggested by my sister-in-law, but Stephen is definitely against it.

And for Five Favs this week, here's a round-up of some natural birth stories that I've been reading:

1. Anne's birth story was really encouraging to me, since she makes a natural birth seem totally feasible (not easy, but feasible)

2. I can't believe that Martha was 10 cm when they first checked her at the hospital - that is awesome.

3.  Sarah's birth story is another great natural birth story.

4. And so is Katrina's.

5. Lastly, for the craziest of them all (and then some), is Indiana's.

Let's hope mine isn't nearly as crazy. Linking up with Five Favorites and What I Wore Wednesday.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one doing at-home remedies to get labor started! I've been eating pineapple, bouncing on my exercise ball, and trying to take lots of walks to get baby here but nothing so far. I think I'm going to have to take a trip to Walgreens tonight to get some evening primrose oil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is adorable! I was thinking about investing in more maxi skirts but I'm starting to think dresses are the way to go.

    Can't wait to read these birth stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wear that baby bump well!! You are reading my mind on the jean jacket thing. I haven't worn one since high school, but saw many a stylish lady sporting them at mass on Sunday and thought "must. get. one. now." And yes, breastfeeding friendly garments are so important! I underestimated the importance while I was still pregnant.... I had to pull my entire dress up in the backseat of our car on Sunday and cover my legs with a blanket to nurse Will before we went to a restaurant for brunch. WORTH it for the omelette and iced coffee, but would have been much easier if I wore something practical and could have just nursed him with a cover in the booth, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was here for the first time on Friday just clicking around 7 Quick Takes. I loved your blog design and was planning on telling you as much, but I'm pretty sure I had to run and save a baby from a toddler or something. So I'm glad to be back! And thanks for the birth story tips. I'm always the sucker. Have you written about your thoughts on natural birth after an OB rotation?? I'm off to see if you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for linking to my birth story! I just cannot believe my firstborn is almost 5 years old... wow..

    ReplyDelete
  6. and I love your maxi dress. GOOD CHOICE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh good on the raspberry leaf. Natural remedies aren't like Western medicine, so they sometimes feel like they're doing nothing for quite awhile. It's so good that you're prepping in advance. I think that's so great. Maxis, perfect! I lived in them the first couple of months. So easy to pop the top down for bf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that dress! You are just the cutest pregnant lady. Hope you're still feeling okay!

    I went to college with your sister, Ingrid, by the way. What a small world, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lived in maxi dresses when pregnant. You look beautiful! Enjoy your first mother's day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good call on the maxi dress - it's nice to have something new to wear now (I recall being really sick of all my maternity clothes by this point), and I'm sure you'll get lots of use of it the rest of the summer to. Looks great with the shoes!

    And thanks for sharing my birth story - I love hearing that it is encouraging to anyone! - as well as those other links. I still love reading these things. Women are amazing, and you're going to be too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment! Your lovely comments really make my day :) I appreciate and enjoy every comment even though I don't always have time to reply.

(I also often reply via email, unless you are a no-reply blogger).