On this crazy life...

Friday, November 7, 2014

In recent days, I've been uncertain about the direction that I should take with this blog. My time is limited, and I don't want anything to take away from becoming the best doctor that I can be...and much more importantly, the best mother that I can be. But at the same time, this blog has given me an outlet in some of the most challenging times of my life. I've received so much support, encouragement, and kindness from all of you - and for that, I'm truly grateful.

This isn't by any means a goodbye letter just yet. I mentioned to Stephen the other day that I was wondering if I should continue blogging, partly because of time and partly because I didn't really think about the potential consequences of people reading the blog, personally and professionally (it was always intended as a fun hobby). Stephen looked at me incredulously and said "Why would you stop doing something that you really enjoy doing?" And that was all the encouragement I needed. I still plan on sharing snippets of our life, our struggles and dreams (and an occasional outfit or two). This next month is my last month of semi-normalcy before I start 6 months of intense, busy residency rotations so expect a few posts now and then potentially sporadic ones later...and thanks for being here either way :)

Sharing seven photos from my life outside of residency lately (and linking up with Jen):

1. The little man's first Halloween (lion costume was an awesome hand-me-down from one of the attendings here)! Also, my favorite new sweater (a birthday gift).

Sweater: Similar
Jeans: J. Brand (found on Nordstrom Rack)
Boots: Frye (purchased 40% off after Christmas last year)

2. My blue-eyed boy.


 3. Nothing says fall like a pumpkin patch (and this vest).

Vest: Thrifted J. Crew, same at J. Crew Factory 
Jeans: J. Brand
Boots: Frye

4. An impromptu trip to my hometown in northern Michigan (and five months postpartum, these are still my favorite pants).

 Pants: J. Crew (on sale)

5. I still maintain that I'm from the most beautiful place in the world...


 6. Indian summer = kayaking trip at one of our favorite places.


 7. Look, mom, I can fly!



13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, he just gets cuter with every picture!!! And don't put pressure on yourself to blog often, we will continue to eat them up however often you post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cutie!! We will miss your regular posting, but it's good that you've got your priorities straight :). My husband also just started residency and he started off with a few months of easier rotations. We are now beginning six months of craziness as well. Good luck!! Enjoy your time with your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think any posting you can do is just great and don't feel bad about not being here on the regular. I like to read your posts no matter how often they come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last picture is too cute!!! I look forward to your posts, no matter if they're consistent or sporadic :) You'll be in my prayers as you enter this crazy season of life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't go!!!! I love that you share a little bit here and there of your life without getting too "personal" - I know it's a fine line to balance between your professional career and all. I'm just thankful to see snippets of what my future may look like.

    Speaking of future, board studying starts soon - any tips? I know you must have killed yours considering where you are so any help is appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful baby! . . . I agree w/ everyone above: post what you want, when you can. I'll read it! . . . And blogging while trying to maintain a good reputation as a professional is tricky. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts if you get a chance to email (and if you don't get a chance that's okay too).

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is such a beautiful boy. And thank you for sticking around and giving us female med students lots of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precious baby and such big blue eyes! And like everyone else said- please keep posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tummy time!! I love that pic. There are all sorts of bloggers. Some post every day, some once in awhile. I think you have a lovely, supportive audience that will appreciate if/when you post. Myself included. The only thing I ask is that you don't apologize for the time in-between posts. Just show up and share what you're comfortable with and we'll be happy to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck Erika with all that you are doing, you are truly an inspirational woman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a very beautiful photo of your hometown! i love it.... Been dropping suggestions to my husband to possibly add northern michigan or your adoptive state for our next family adventure.

    I understand about the blog getting second place (or third place) especially when juggling mommyhood and intern year. Do not be afraid to take a break and then come back! :)
    If you noticed, I did not post the entire year of 2011..... I picked up where I left off and is indeed a fun outlet. Because of blogging, I have met* you :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always look forward to your posts -- I, too, find myself writing less and less during school but you're right in that it serves as a great outlet during this stressful time. I relate to you on many levels (being Catholic, newlyweds, pursuing medicine, etc.) so any future posts will be eagerly anticipated!

    And your sweet little baby boy...he is just precious! Best wishes and god bless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, that tummy time photo! I can't believe how big he's getting - I bet you're finding it flies, right? What a cutie.

    And glad to hear you'll be popping in sometimes - I know it's all hard to balance, and I don't have to deal with the residency schedule... but you should be able to treat yourself with some time doing a thing you enjoy, and you should feel totally okay doing that on your terms/schedule. We'll be here :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment! Your lovely comments really make my day :) I appreciate and enjoy every comment even though I don't always have time to reply.

(I also often reply via email, unless you are a no-reply blogger).